Chocolate Lover's Nutty Fudgey Scones
Leslie Speed Dutton
Makes a great Valentine's Day morning oh so special.
Some serving suggestions:
1. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
2. Fresh berries and whipped cream.
3. Drizzle melted semi-sweet chocolate chips or hot fudge over the tops of scones and fresh strawberries.
Bake and serve in 1 day.
4 call purpose flour
2/3 ccocoa, unsweetened
4 3/4 tspbaking powder
12 Tbspbutter, unsalted, cold, about 1 12 sticks, cut into tablespoon pieces
1 1/3 Tbspvanilla extract, 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp
2/3 cheavy cream
3 Tbspheavy cream
2 csemi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cwalnut pieces or pecan pieces
1/3 ccrystalized sugar (or granulated sugar) for sprinkling on top of dough
How to Make Chocolate Lover's Nutty Fudgey Scones
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F: Line 2 heavy cookie sheets or rimmed sheet pans with lengths of cooking parchment paper.
- Mix the dough: Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and granulated sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Drop in the chunks of butter and, using a pastry blender or two round-bladed knives, cut the fat into the flour mixture until reduced to large pieces about the size of large pearls. Reduce the fat further to smaller flakes, using your fingertips.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla extract, and heavy cream. Pour the egg mixture over the sifted ingredients, scatter the nuts and chocolate chips over, and stir to form a dough.
- Gather the dough into a rough mass. Knead the dough lightly in the bowl for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Form the scones: Divide the dough in half. On a lightly floured work surface, pat or roll each piece into a disk about 7 inches in diameter. With a chef's knife, cut each disk into 5 wedges.
- As the scones are cut, press in any chips and nuts that may stick out of the sides. Transfer the scones to the prepared pans, placing them 3 inches apart. Assemble 5 scones on each pan. Sprinkle a little sugar on top of each scone.
- Bake and cook the scones: Bake the scones in the pre-heated oven for 17 to 19 minutes, or until set. Begin checking the scones at 16 minutes.
- Transfer the pans to cooling racks. Let the scones stand on the pans for 1 minute, then carefully remove them to cooling racks, using a wide offset metal spatula. Cool completely. Serve the scones freshly baked.