Home-Style Potato Rolls
For the best color, be sure to use yellow potatoes such as Yukon Gold.
1 1/2 cwarm water
1 csoy milk
2 Tbspnonhydrogenated vegan margarine
1-1/4 ozpackage yeast
5-51/2 call-purpose flour, or a blend of white whole wheat and all-purpose flour
2 Tbspbrown sugar
11/4 ccold,moist mashed potatoes, preferably yukon gold.
1/3 csoy milk
11/2 tsppotato starch or cornstarch
·poppy seeds for sprinkling
How to Make Home-Style Potato Rolls
- Combine 1 cup of the warm water with the soy milk in a medium-size saucepan, then drop in the margarine. Heat over medium heat until the margarine is melted and the soy milk mixture has slightly scalded. Remove from the heat and allow to cool until lukewarm.
- In a measuring cup, mix together remaining 1/2 cup of warm water and the yeast. set aside for a few minutes until yeast is foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, and salt. Using your hands, mix the mashed potatoes into the flour to form a crumbly mixture, as if you were making a pastry dough. Stir in the yeast mixture and the soy milk mixture to form a soft dough; if the dough is very sticky, add a little flour, a few tablespoons at a time, until a firm, smooth dough forms. It's OK if there's bits of potato poking through the dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until elastic. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise for 2 hours or until doubled in size. When pressed with a finger the dough should spring back slowly.
- Right before the dough is ready to be punched down, prepare the glaze:
- Whisk together the soy milk and potato starch in a small saucepan. Cook over a medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens slightly. remove from the heat and cool before using.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. While the oven is pre-heating, lightly grease two 12-cup muffin tins.
- Punch down the dough, Knead briefly on a floured board,and roll into two thick 14- to 16-inch ropes. Use Kitchen shears or a sharp knife to slice the rope into 1 1/2 to 2 inch pieces. Lightly flour your hands and roll each piece into a ball the size of a walnut.
- Place 3 balls together in each muffin cup Brush with glaze, sprinkle with poppy seeds, and very loosely cover with plastic wrap. set aside for 25-35 minutes, until rolls have doubled in bulk.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are shiny and browned. Wen the rolls are cool enough to touch, transfer from the pans to wire racks to complete cooling.