SOUR CREAM AND ONION ROLLS
The photo is my own. Recipe adapted from my Dill and Onion bread recipe.
2 to 2 2/3cups of bread flour
4teaspoons instant minced onions
2 1/4teaspoons active dry yeast in a jar
1tablespoon real butter
4 ouncessour cream
4 ouncescreamed cottage cheese
How to Make SOUR CREAM AND ONION ROLLS
- EQUIPMENT: You will need a medium sized mixing bowl, thermometer, and an electric mixer.
- DRY INGREDIENTS: Measure one cup of the flour and put into a medium sized mixing bowl. (you will not use all the flour) Add sugar, onion, salt, baking soda and yeast, stir to mix.
- WET MIXTURE: Blend the cottage cheese, water, and sour cream in a blender until smooth. In a small saucpan, add the cottage cheese mixture and butter. Heat while stirring until the thermometer reads 120 degrees. Remove from heat.
- FIRST RISING: Break the egg into the dry ingredients and beat it with a fork, then add the wet mixture and mix well. Blend with the electric mixer until moist, then beat for 3 minutes at medium speed. Trade your mixer for a wooden spoon and stir in the remaining 1 to 1 2/3 cups of flour by hand to form a soft dough. (When it gets thick, use your fingers) Use the same bowl you mixed it in. Cover with a tea towel and place in a warm place to rise. I use my oven with the light on. Let it rise until doubled in size. about 45 to 60 minutes.
- BAKING SHEET
I use a insulated baking sheet with parchment for easy cleanup and best baking results.
- (SECOND RISING: After the dough has risen, uncover and punch it down to remove the air bubbles, and add as little flour as necessary. Turn out onto the bread board dusted with flour, and form into a long log with your hands. Cut it in half, then cut each half in half. Continue until you have 16 uniform pieces. Place on a parchment covered insulated baking sheet. Place in the pre-heated oven (350 degrees) and bake for about 18 to 20 minutes, depending on your oven. Remove the rolls from the oven and butter the tops. Enjoy!
- Cook's Tip: These rolls brown very quickly, so keep an eye on them!