★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 1/4 c
- warm water (80' f)
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- 4 c
- all purpose flour or bread flour
- 2 tsp
- yeast ( active dry yeast or bread machine
How to Make French bread and Roll
- 1For whole Wheat french bread and roll dough, you can substitue 2 cups wheat flour for 2 cups of the bread flour. Measure the ingredients into the bread pan according the manufacturer's direction for your machine or put in order on the recipe but put the yeast last. Set the Dough cycle and press start button.
- 2After about 5 minutes of kneading check the dough.If dough not smooth round ball if it dry add 1 tablespoon warm water if too wet put 1 tablespoon of flour.Remove the dough promptly from the machine at end of cycle.Knead dough about 10 minute on on lightly floured surface. Choose a shaping varition from below and continue as directed.
- 3Baguettes: Use of the for 2 baguettes or half the dough to make one. Shape the dough into 15or 17 inch-long rope(2 rope if making 2 baguettes)Place in greased baguette pan or greased baking sheet(4 inches apart for 2 loaf). Slash loaves diagonally across the top 30 or4 times for the decorative effect, if desired. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel let rise in warn lace until doubled 30-45 minutes.Uncover bake in preheated 350F about 25-30 minutes.Until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when lightly tapped.(If using baquette pan, brown the bottoms of the loaves if desired by removing them from the pans and baking loaves on oven rack for 5 minutes more). Cool loaves on the rack.
- 4French loaves: Follow direction for the Baguettes, except shape each half of dough into a 12-inch loaf. Cover and let rise for French loaves. Bake in a preheated oven for 350F for 25-30 minutes or until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when lightly tapped. Cool on racks.
- 5French sandwich rolls: For 12 rolls, use all of the dough. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough in half; divide each half into 6 pieces. Shape each piece into a small balls; place balls 3 inches parts on greased baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and let rise in warm place until doubled, 30-45 minutes. Uncover and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 16-19 minutes, or until rolls are golden brown and sound hollow when lightly tapped. Serve warm, or cool on racks.