Potato puff buns
1 pkggranular or compressed yeast( i used 2 1/2 tsp. fast acting yeast)
1/2 cupwarm water
1cupmilk ( scalded )
1 1/2 tsp.salt
2eggs, ( well beaten )
1 cuppotatoes, mashed
6 cupsflour, sifted
How to Make Potato puff buns
- Crumble granular yeast over warm water or compressed yeast over lukewarm water..( or sprinkle fast acting yeast over warm water ). Scald milk, then cool to lukewarm. Cream shortening, sugar, and salt; blend in eggs and mashed potatoes.
- Add yeast mixture to milk and stir into creamed mixture. Add flour to make soft dough. Turn onto lightly floured board and knead thoroughly.
- Place in large greased bowl; cover to let rise in warm place until doubled (about 2 hrs; ( it really takes longer unless you have a very warm place to put it) ). Punch down, and knead again. Brush with butter..
- Cover tightly; place in refrigerator until ready to bake. ( will keep in fridge overnight but place in a very large bowl and cover tightly as dough rises in fridge.) OR; after kneading thoroughly , skip refridgeration and pinch off dough and form into small rolls of desired shape. Place 2" apart on greased baking sheet.. Brush with melted butter.. Cover, let rise in warm place til doubled in size about 2 ( or more) hours. Bake in hot oven( 400° 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned..makes 2 1/2 dozen, ( if you form small rolls..) or about 1 1/2 dozen large rolls..
- NOTE: if using refridgeration, brush with melted butter after last knead, before putting in fridge. About 2 1/2 hrs before you want to bske them, pinch off dough and form into small rolls of desired shape..follow as above from here..