CORNMEAL SPOON BREAD
Recipe & photo: bhg.com
- 5 Tbsp
- unsalted butter, softened
- 4 c
- 1 c
- fine ground white cornmeal or regular cornmeal
- 1 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1 tsp
- eggs, separated
- 1/8 tsp
- cream of tartar
How to Make CORNMEAL SPOON BREAD
- 1Butter a 1-1/2-qt. souffle dish with 2 Tbsp. of the butter; set aside.
- 2In a large saucepan heat milk until just below boiling. Slowly whisk in cornmeal; bring to boiling. Cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat about 5 minutes or until mixture thickens and begins to pull away from the sides of the saucepan. Remove from heat; transfer to a large mixing bowl. Cool 10 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 3 Tbsp. butter, salt and sugar. Beat in egg yolks until well blended.
- 3In a clean large mixing bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar with a clean large whisk until they form soft glossy mounds. Stir one-third of the beaten egg whites into cornmeal mixture to lighten.
- 4Gently fold in remaining egg whites. Gently turn into prepared souffle dish (batter will nearly fill the dish). Bake in a preheated 400º oven for 30 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Cool 5 minutes before serving.