Photo: Darren Stone, Times Colonist
2 Tbspcaster (superfine) sugar
1 call purpose flour
3/4 tspcream of tartar
1/2 tspbaking soda
·shortening or cooking spray
·butter for serving
How to Make SCOTTISH CRUMPETS
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and egg until thickened and pale in color. Stir in 2/3 cup of the milk until well blended.
- Add the flour, salt, and cream of tartar and blend until smooth.
- Mix the baking soda with the remaining milk and stir into the mixture.
- Heat a greased griddle or heavy, large skillet. Add large spoonfuls of the batter and cook over medium heat until golden brown on the bottom and bubbles are forming and bursting on top, much like pancakes.
- Turn and cook the other side; transfer to paper towels until all are cooked. Serve with butter and/or the jam of your choice.