Feather Light Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 c
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 6 Tbsp
- very cold butter
- 3/4 c
- cold buttermilk
- 1 pinch
- baking soda (add to buttermilk)
How to Make Feather Light Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1Blend flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl vigorously with a whisk. Cut butter into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter leaving pieces of butter about the size of large peas.
- 2Put the bowl containing the flour and butter combo in the freezer for 15 minutes. *IMPORTANT* Please don't skip this step.
- 3Pour buttermilk into a measuring cup. Add a large pinch of baking soda to the buttermilk.
- 4After 15 minutes, take the bowl from the freezer and add buttermilk. Stir just until it is mostly mixed. Don't over-mix. Add additional buttermilk a little at a time until a stiff but sticky dough just forms. Over mixing will make them tough and dense. Leave the dough a little stickier than you think because you will be adding more flour on the counter.
- 5Flour your counter and hands. Take dough from bowl, place on counter and fold in half, very gently, 6-8 times, no more. Be extra careful not to handle the dough very much. The dough will be rough looking, not smooth like bread dough. This is what you want.
- 6Flatten dough gently with hands to about 1 to 1 1/2 inches high. I use a small glass, 2 1/2" in diameter. Push straight down once. Do not twist or edges will seal and they will not rise when baked. Extra dough can be patted gently back together once or twice and re-cut. *Never use a rolling pin. This is the best way to get "hockey pucks" instead of light, feathery biscuits! lol
- 7Place on parchment lined shiny cookie sheet with sides gently touching forming a square, 3 across, 3 down.
- 8Brush tops with milk and place on top of stove while oven is preheating. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. When preheated, bake for 11-18 minutes or until golden. Watch closely. Don't over bake. Brush lightly with melted butter when done.