Gluten Free Tuna Buns
Please note: I made the tuna part as I would a tuna salad sandwich filling, I listed just a few items that I use in it. Please make this part how you enjoy your tuna. But do put the cheddar either on top and maybe some in the filling..this is a must for more flavour.
- 1 Tbsp
- active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp
- granulated white sugar
- 3/4 c
- warm milk
- 1 tsp
- unflavoured knox gelatin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp
- table salt
- 1/3 c
- sorghum flour
- 1/3 c
- brown rice flour
- 1/2 c
- tapioca flour/starch
- 2 tsp
- xanthan gum
- 1 tsp
- apple cider vinegar
- 85 g
- solid white tuna smaller can used
- 2 Tbsp
- mayonnaise or as much as needed to your liking
- scallions or chopped shallot again to your liking
- 1/16 tsp
- lemon pepper
- 1/4 c
- grated cheddar cheese
How to Make Gluten Free Tuna Buns
- 1Make your filling as I mention in the description area. Make it to your taste and liking. The amounts listed are some of the things I use. Of course you can use a large can and make a second batch of dough to use it all up.
- 2Preparing the dough:
- 3Place the yeast, warm milk and sugar into a bowl and let proof for about ten minutes.
- 4When this is frothy and ready add the gelatin to yeast mixture and stir in to dissolve. Add olive oil to this wet mixture also. Stir well.
- 5In mixer bowl place salt, flours, starches, xgum. blend to combine.
- 6Pour in the wet ingredients adding your vinegar also.
- 7I have also added spices like oregano, or parsley, or garlic powder to the dough, but do so only if any of the spices you like go with tuna for your family. If I am making Italian tuna buns, or pizza buns, that is when I add spices.
- 8Beat all mixtures well about 4 minutes with mixer. You will have a sticky wet dough.
- 9On parchment lined cookie sheet, place quarter cup size portions I get seven. Pat down with rice floured or wet finger tips into a flat bun shape with a bigger dent in centre.
I usually let them rest to rise slightly here and this is when I take time to make my filling.
- 10Place the prepared filling into the slight dented area and all over the top just so its not falling off, slightly tap down.
- 11Sprinkle cheddar evenly over top as much as you like. Sprinkle a tough of paprika over top for colour.
You can let them rest here if you didnt in step nine. I let rest about ten minutes, I am inpatient and with all the aroma of tuna I just would like to eat them at this point.
- 12Preheat oven to 375 degrees, place in oven and lower to 350 degrees, and bake for 25 minutes. I have an old oven and is unpredictable in temperature, so I use a oven temperature gauge , and this is what I do.
- 13remove leave on sheet to a wire rack to cool.