Gluten Free Tuna Buns
Please note: I made the tuna part as I would a tuna salad sandwich filling, I listed just a few items that I use in it. Please make this part how you enjoy your tuna. But do put the cheddar either on top and maybe some in the filling..this is a must for more flavour.
1 Tbspactive dry yeast
1 1/2 tspgranulated white sugar
3/4 cwarm milk
1 tspunflavoured knox gelatin powder
1 1/2 tspolive oil, extra virgin
1/2 tsptable salt
1/3 csorghum flour
1/3 cbrown rice flour
1/2 ctapioca flour/starch
2 tspxanthan gum
1 tspapple cider vinegar
85 gsolid white tuna smaller can used
2 Tbspmayonnaise or as much as needed to your liking
2scallions or chopped shallot again to your liking
1/16 tsplemon pepper
1/4 cgrated cheddar cheese
How to Make Gluten Free Tuna Buns
- Make your filling as I mention in the description area. Make it to your taste and liking. The amounts listed are some of the things I use. Of course you can use a large can and make a second batch of dough to use it all up.
- Preparing the dough:
- Place the yeast, warm milk and sugar into a bowl and let proof for about ten minutes.
- When this is frothy and ready add the gelatin to yeast mixture and stir in to dissolve. Add olive oil to this wet mixture also. Stir well.
- In mixer bowl place salt, flours, starches, xgum. blend to combine.
- Pour in the wet ingredients adding your vinegar also.
- I have also added spices like oregano, or parsley, or garlic powder to the dough, but do so only if any of the spices you like go with tuna for your family. If I am making Italian tuna buns, or pizza buns, that is when I add spices.
- Beat all mixtures well about 4 minutes with mixer. You will have a sticky wet dough.
- On parchment lined cookie sheet, place quarter cup size portions I get seven. Pat down with rice floured or wet finger tips into a flat bun shape with a bigger dent in centre.
I usually let them rest to rise slightly here and this is when I take time to make my filling.
- Place the prepared filling into the slight dented area and all over the top just so its not falling off, slightly tap down.
- Sprinkle cheddar evenly over top as much as you like. Sprinkle a tough of paprika over top for colour.
You can let them rest here if you didnt in step nine. I let rest about ten minutes, I am inpatient and with all the aroma of tuna I just would like to eat them at this point.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, place in oven and lower to 350 degrees, and bake for 25 minutes. I have an old oven and is unpredictable in temperature, so I use a oven temperature gauge , and this is what I do.
- remove leave on sheet to a wire rack to cool.