★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 lb
- small to medium cooked, devined shrimp, cut into small pieces
- mangos, firm, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- avocados, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 6 slice
- bacon, chopped
- 1 c
- baby portebello mushrooms, very coarsely broken
- green onions, minced
- red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 pinch
- sea salt
- 1 dash(es)
- ceyenne or red pepper
- chipotle chili powder to taste
- 1 pinch
- garlic paste or powder
- 1 pkg
- egg roll wrappers
- 1 bunch
- fresh cilantro, chopped with no major stems
- enough peanut oil to fill your deep fryer
How to Make Baja Eggrolls
- 1Cook bacon slices until near crisp. Blot well. Save the oil from cooking the bacon to cook the mushrooms.
- 2Cook the mushrooms in the bacon grease, adding garlic, chipotle powder and sea salt to taste. Drain off oils and thoroughly blot mushrooms on paper towels until dry. Set aside.
- 3Have all your ingredients around in small bowls or containers before starting to roll the egg rolls. Have a paper towel ready to wipe down your work surface after each egg roll and a small cup of water ready to moisten the egg roll wrapper so it will stick.
Do not over-moisten wrappers, however, as they may stick and tear.
Positioning the egg roll wrapper in the shape of a diamond, lay out ingredients except cilantro inside wrapper middle bottom quadrant. moisten all exposed area of wrapper on inside of roll. Sprinkle red pepper to taste, and then add your cilantro. You add the cilantro last as it can be a little hard to work with if you add it earlier.
Begin at bottom of roll, gently but firmly gather up the roll, bringing up wrapper around ingredients, partially "tucking" the wrapper not around or underneath, but beside the filling. Flatten the side points of the roll, folding them in on top of the roll, securing them by dampening them with water and pressing them gently to the roll. Then, gently, but firmly, roll the egg roll forward onto the rest of its moistened wrapper. Do not pull the wrapper so tight as to tear the roll. Egg roll wrapping is a practiced art. Do not dishearten if you have gaps in your roll at first.
- 4VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Before proceeding to cook egg rolls, make sure you have everything for dinner in place and your platter with paper towels ready as the egg rolls cook very fast.
SAFETY PRECAUTION!!!! Be very careful!! You will be working with extremely hot oil and precautions need to be made to prevent splatter and spillage burns.
- 5Heat cooking oil to a temperature just below smoking. The hotter the oil is, the less greasy the rolls will be, but you don't want the rolls to burn, either.
- 6Cook egg rolls quickly in the hot oil. This takes only a minute or two.
- 7Adjust this recipe as you care to serve 2-4 rolls per person. Four serves as a meal in our hungry household.