Spicy Pickled Green Beans
- 2 1/2 c
- distilled white vinegar
- 2 c
- 1/4 c
- pickling salt
- whole head of fresh garlic, peeled
- 2 1/2 lb
- fresh straight green beans
- sprig of fresh dill or 1 tsp dill seed
- cayenne pepper or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
How to Make Spicy Pickled Green Beans
- 1Sterilize 6 pint jars and lids on baking sheet in oven at 250* F for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 225* F until all jars are used.
- 2Start a canning pot with water and bring to a boil.
- 3Take 1 green bean and measure it inside of the jar - cut it 1/4 inch from the top of the jar.
Using that bean as a guide, line up a bunch of green beans with that one and cut them all the same length. Repeat with all of the green beans.
Save cut ends as snaps for cooking in beans & peas, or freeze to use in vegetable stock or soups & stews.
- 4In a large saucepan, stir together the vinegar, water, garlic cloves, and salt; bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- 5In each jar, place 1 sprig of dill or 1 tsp. dill seed and 1 cayenne pepper that has been stabbed with a knife, or 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Pack green beans into the jars so they are standing on their cut ends.
- 6Remove brine from the heat, discard garlic and ladle the brine into the jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the tops. Seal jars with lids and rings.
- 7Place jars in a hot water bath so they are covered by 1 inch of water. Simmer but DO NOT BOIL for 10 minutes to process. Cool to room temperature.
- 8Refrigerate any jars that do not seal properly. Let green beans cure for 2 to 3 weeks before eating. Enjoy!