Spicy Pickled Green Beans
2 1/2 cdistilled white vinegar
1/4 cpickling salt
1whole head of fresh garlic, peeled
2 1/2 lbfresh straight green beans
1sprig of fresh dill or 1 tsp dill seed
1cayenne pepper or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
How to Make Spicy Pickled Green Beans
- Sterilize 6 pint jars and lids on baking sheet in oven at 250* F for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 225* F until all jars are used.
- Start a canning pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Take 1 green bean and measure it inside of the jar - cut it 1/4 inch from the top of the jar.
Using that bean as a guide, line up a bunch of green beans with that one and cut them all the same length. Repeat with all of the green beans.
Save cut ends as snaps for cooking in beans & peas, or freeze to use in vegetable stock or soups & stews.
- In a large saucepan, stir together the vinegar, water, garlic cloves, and salt; bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- In each jar, place 1 sprig of dill or 1 tsp. dill seed and 1 cayenne pepper that has been stabbed with a knife, or 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Pack green beans into the jars so they are standing on their cut ends.
- Remove brine from the heat, discard garlic and ladle the brine into the jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the tops. Seal jars with lids and rings.
- Place jars in a hot water bath so they are covered by 1 inch of water. Simmer but DO NOT BOIL for 10 minutes to process. Cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate any jars that do not seal properly. Let green beans cure for 2 to 3 weeks before eating. Enjoy!