Following a Keto lifestyle is very popular. If you’re not familiar with Keto, you can read more about it (and other popular eating lifestyles) here. Keto recipes are high fat, moderate protein, and very low carb. So that means anything breading has to be cut out of the menu rotation. Or does it?
With a little creativity, a good recipe doesn’t have to sacrifice flavor for weight loss. Pork rind crumbs are an excellent alternative to traditional breading to get a golden-brown crunchy crust without all the carbs. Bags are readily available at the supermarket or pre-crushed pork rinds can be purchased online.
Using ground pork rinds, we have created a chicken tender recipe that’s flavorful, crunchy and Keto-friendly. It’s a meal the whole family will love. They’re delicious on their own or serve with a Keto dipping sauce (like our Homemade Ranch Dressing).
- 2 lbs chicken tenders (approximately 12)
- 2 c pork rind crumbs
- 1/2 c freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
1. Rinse and pat the chicken tenders dry. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Lay a wire rack on a cookie sheet. Spray with cooking spray. Baking the chicken tenders on a rack ensures they stay crunchy while baking. If you don’t have a wire rack, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a food processor, pulse pork rinds to the consistency of coarse bread crumbs.
4. In a flat dish, mix together the pork rind crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and mayo.
6. Dip the chicken tenders in the egg mixture.
7. Lay the chicken tenders on the crumb mixture. Spoon the mixture over the tenders and press the crumbs into the chicken.
8. Lay the tenders on the rack. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
9. If cooking on parchment paper, flip the tenders halfway through cooking so they are crispy and golden brown on both sides.
10. Enjoy! If desired, these chicken tenders can be pan fried in avocado oil instead of baking.