Vegetable & Orzo Soup
·1 large onion, finely chopped
·1 large carrot, finely chopped
·14 oz can of chopped tomatoes
·1/3 cup orzo
·5 cups of vegetable stock
·2 tbsp olive oil
·1/2 tsp white sugar
·handful of flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
·sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
·red pepper flakes (garnish to taste)
·wedges of lemon to serve
How to Make Vegetable & Orzo Soup
- In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook gently (2 minutes), or until softened.
- Next add the carrots and chopped tomatoes, mixing well.
- Now add the stock, season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add the orzo and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the chopped parsley, re-season if necessary and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with a sprinkling of red pepper flakes and the lemon wedges on the side.