Glory Hole Cabbage Soup
- 1 medium
- head cabbage, shredded in large shreds
- 2 medium
- onions chopped
- 4 Tbsp
- 2-3 Tbsp
- 1-2 tsp
- salt to taste
- 4 c
- 3 c
- v-8 or tomato juice
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- caraway seeds
- 1 c
- creme fraiche, sour cream or plain yogurt
TO ADD MORE TOMATO FLAVOR, USE ONE 15 OZ CAN OF DICED TOMATO ADDED WITH THE OTHER LIQUIDS. (OPTIONAL)
How to Make Glory Hole Cabbage Soup
- 1In a meduim stockpot or large saucepan, Saute the vegetables in the butter on medium heat about 15 minutes until softened.
- 2Sprinkle the flour and salt over the veggies and stir until flour has disappeared.
- 3Add water, juice, pepper, sugar and caraway seed, stir to mix and cook on low, uncovered, for 1 hour
- 4To serve, you can add the dairy product to the soup pot and stir it in, then ladle into bowls. (Do not boil to reheat or it will curdle) Or you can ladle the soup into the bowls and top with any one of the dairy products. Serve with crusty bread or crackers.
- 5If you feel the need of a heartier soup, you can add some sliced kielbasa or smoked beef sausage. Also, you can add 1 cup of cooked pasta like small shells or fusilli.