This soup originates from the North of France.
Cook's Notes: Adding garlic to hot oil gives a burnt taste on the palate.
Adding salt to cooked vegetables causes them to sweat and have no color.
Celery leaves break down in the soup and give off an amazing aroma.
Tip: Build soup in layers in no particular order. Chef recommends adding vegetables in
the following sequence: celery, carrots, turnips, potatoes and finally cabbage.
Beans were added to this recipe, but not shown in the video.
olive oil, extra virgin
leeks, white section only, thinly sliced
turnip, peeled, quartered and medium diced
carrots, peeled, cut in half and sliced on long bias
celery, thinly sliced on long bias with leaves
garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
purple cabbage, core removed and thinly sliced
potatoes, quartered and medium diced
chicken stock, light
CAN BE REPLACED WITH VEGETARIAN STOCKS
1 1/8 oz
CAN BE REPLACED WITH FAKON, VEGGIE BACON, OR VACON
KOSHER SALT & BUTCHER BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
How To Make
1. In 5.5-quart PerfectGreen pot, heat butter on Medium-High (375°F).
2. Add leeks and sauté for about 1 minute.
3. Add garlic and cook for about 45 seconds, until fragrant.
4. Add bacon and cook for 2 minutes, or until lightly brown and fragrant.
Cook's note: You can make this vegan by using fakon, veggie bacon, or vacon.
5. Add remaining vegetables to pot.
6. Add chicken stock and season with salt and black pepper.
Cook's Note: replace Chicken stock with Vegetarian stock.
7. Add beans.
8. Allow soup to gently simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until potato and
cabbage are tender.
9. Remove bay leaves and serve while still hot.
Last Step: Don't forget to share!
Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social
network. And don't forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!
Categories & Tags for Garbure (Winter Time country Vegie Soup):