Garbure (Winter Time country Vegie Soup)
Cook's Notes: Adding garlic to hot oil gives a burnt taste on the palate.
Adding salt to cooked vegetables causes them to sweat and have no color.
Celery leaves break down in the soup and give off an amazing aroma.
Tip: Build soup in layers in no particular order. Chef recommends adding vegetables in
the following sequence: celery, carrots, turnips, potatoes and finally cabbage.
Beans were added to this recipe, but not shown in the video.
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- leeks, white section only, thinly sliced
- 1 medium
- turnip, peeled, quartered and medium diced
- carrots, peeled, cut in half and sliced on long bias
- 3 stalk(s)
- celery, thinly sliced on long bias with leaves
- 4 clove
- garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
- purple cabbage, core removed and thinly sliced
- 1 can(s)
- cannellini beans
- 3 medium
- potatoes, quartered and medium diced
- bay leaves
- 2 qt
- chicken stock, light
- 1 1/8 oz
- bacon, cooked
CAN BE REPLACED WITH VEGETARIAN STOCKS
CAN BE REPLACED WITH FAKON, VEGGIE BACON, OR VACON
KOSHER SALT & BUTCHER BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
2. Add leeks and sauté for about 1 minute.
3. Add garlic and cook for about 45 seconds, until fragrant.
Cook's note: You can make this vegan by using fakon, veggie bacon, or vacon.
Cook's Note: replace Chicken stock with Vegetarian stock.
8. Allow soup to gently simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until potato and
cabbage are tender.
9. Remove bay leaves and serve while still hot.