Doukhobor Vegetarian Borscht
I am sure this recipe was given to my Mom by the women with whom she worked. It is definitely a group effort to make the borscht. It was signed by Patsy Popoff, Polly Zoobkoff and Elsie Campbell (?)
Mother's notes showed that she cut the recipe in half. Good memories.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
4 Tbspcoarse salt
5 qtstewed tomatoes
12 mediumpotatoes, halved
4 cdiced potatoes
2 cgrated carrot
3 ccarrots, finely chopped
1 cgrated beet
2 largebeets, whole
5 cchopped onion
1/2 ccelery and leaves, finely chopped
1 cchopped green onion
4 cgreen pepper, chopped
24 cshredded cabbage
1 cdill, chopped
How to Make Doukhobor Vegetarian Borscht
- Have the water boiling in a 20 quart canner, add salt and whole beets with a few cuts in them. Add halved potatoes, chopped carrots and 2 cups of the chopped onion.
- In a large pot, put 1/4 lb. butter, stewed tomatoes, 1 cup of the chopped onion, grated beet, 1 cup of grated carrot, 1/4 cup of the celery and 1 cup of chopped green pepper. Simmer over low heat until thick.
- Put 1/4 lb. of butter in a frying pan with the remaining 2 c. of onion and 1 c. of crated carrots. Saute until tender.
- In a separate frying pan, put 1/4 lb. butter, 8 cups of shredded cabbage, 2 c. green pepper and a pinch of dill. Salute for 10 minutes.
- When the halved potatoes become tender in the canner, remove them and mash adding the last 1/4 lb. of butter, 2 1/2 cups of cream and 4 cups of the tomato mixture from Step 2. Mash this mixture well.
- Add the rest of the tomato mixture, the remaining cream and diced potatoes to the canner and bring to the boil.
- Stir the mashed potato mixture from Step 5 into the canner and let boil for 1 minute.
- Add the rest of the shredded cabbage to the canner and bring just to the boiling point. Stir and discard the whole beets.
- Turn off the heat and add the cabbage mixture from step 4 and the onion mixture from step 3 to the canner. Do not stir.
- Sprinkle 1 c. green onion, 1/4 c. celery, 1 c. green pepper, 1 c. dill and 1/2 tsp black pepper (optional) on top of the Borscht. Cover and let stand at least 10 minutes before stirring.
- Serving suggestions
Borscht is best served piping hot with bread and butter. Try serving with cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Some like borscht sprinkled with cayenne pepper or crushed fresh garlic.