Creamy Parsnip Soup
To prepare the leeks: Trim and discard root ends and dark-green parts. Halve lengthwise; thinly slice crosswise. Wash in several changes of cold water until all the grit is removed.
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 c
- prepared sliced leeks-see above note
- 1 lb
- parsnips, trimmed, peeled, and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium
- sweet apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium
- baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 c
- 14 1/2 oz
- can reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 c
- heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- leeks, reserved from above
How to Make Creamy Parsnip Soup
Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the prepared leeks (reserve 1/2 c. for garnish.) Cook stirring 5 minutes.
- 2Add parsnips, apples, potato, broth and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered,until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes.
- 3Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth. Return to pot; stir in cream. season with salt and pepper. Serve with garnish.
- 4Leek Garnish:
In a large skillet heat butter over medium-high heat. Add the reserved leeks; cook stirring until golden brown, about 3 minutes.