Cream of Broccoli Soup
This recipe is from Mindfull Cookbook by Carol Greenwood, Daphna Rabinovitch, & Joanna Gryfe.
Hold yourself responsible for a higher standard than anyone else expects of you. by Henry Ward Beecher
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- sweet onion, chopped (i use 1/4 of the onion)
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp
- curry powder
- 1/4 tsp
- each salt and black pepper
- 6 c
- chopped broccoli (florets and peeled stems)
- 1 large
- potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 to 2 1/2 c
- vegetable or chicken stock, low sodium
- 1 c
- carrot, chopped
- 2 stalk(s)
- celery, chopped
- inch ginger
- 1/2 stick
- butter, (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 c
- 1 small
- zucchini, chopped
I SOME TIMES, ADD THE FOLLOWING, (ALL OPTIONAL):
How to Make Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 1Heat oil (or butter, if using), in a heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, (and carrot, celery, ginger, zucchini, if using); cook, stirring, until softened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- 2Stir in curry powder, salt and pepper.
Stir in broccoli and potato, stirring until well coated.
Pour in stock and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 3Remove soup from heat and let it cool a few minutes.
In batches, transfer soup to a blender or food processor; puree until smooth. (You will have to transfer to a large bowl after it is pureed.)
Return soup to pan on medium heat; add milk if using; stir to heat throughout. (Add more broth or water, if needed.) Serve.