Thick & Creamy Homemade Cream Of Mushroom Soup
This is the recipe that I make for my husband and I. For larger families, simply double. Variations follow.
8oz. fresh, white button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced thinly (factory sliced mushrooms not recommended)
1/2cup finely chopped onion
2cloves of garlic, minced
4tb. butter, divided
2cups chicken broth or stock
1cup half & half
·freshly grated nutmeg, optional
*CHOOSE YOUR OWN VARIATION BELOW IN DIRECTIONS SECTION*
How to Make Thick & Creamy Homemade Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- In a medium soup kettle, melt 3 TB. butter. Saute sliced mushrooms and onion until soft. Add minced garlic and saute for 1 more minute. Melt last TB. of butter in with mushroom mixture and add 3 TB. flour. Cook, stirring gently to coat, for 1 more minute.
- Add chicken broth, then simmer and stir until bubbly and thickened. Add half & half, parsley (if using) and salt and pepper. Heat on medium-low to heat through. Do not boil once you have added the half & half or it will separate. Check and adjust salt and pepper at end as some broths and stocks are saltier than others.
- Ladle into bowls and add a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, if desired.
- ~FOR SWISS MUSHROOM SOUP~
Butter thick slices of French bread and sprinkle with garlic powder. Place under broiler to toast adding thick slices of Swiss cheese during last minute. Top hot bowls of soup with the cheesy garlic toast.
- ~FOR MUSHROOM SPINACH SOUP~
Add a few handfuls of fresh, chopped spinach (stems removed) during last 5 minutes of cooking.
- ~FOR BACON MUSHROOM SOUP~`
Cook 1 1/2 " pieces of Maple Peppered bacon until just crisp. Drain and add to bowls of soup with chunky garlic croutons.