LENTIL AND HAM SOUP
Recipe & photo: Foodnetwork.com
- 6 Tbsp
- 2 stalk(s)
- chopped celery
- carrots, chopped
- turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- chopped fresh thyme
- boneless ham steak cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 can(s)
- (15.5 oz.) lentils (do not drain)
- baguette, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 c
- chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make LENTIL AND HAM SOUP
- 1In a large pot heat 3 Tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add the celery, carrots, turnips and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to brown, about 8 minutes. Add the flour and thyme; cook, stirring, until the flour is incorporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in 4 cups hot water until smooth.
- 2Add the ham and lentils with their liquid. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low until simmering. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soup thickens slightly and the lentils are creamy, about 7 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, melt the remaining 3 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the baguette cubes; sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 7 minutes. Serve the soup topped with the croutons.