ELLEN'S OUTSTANDING BACON-POTATO SOUP
4 smallyukon gold potatoes, diced
6 slicebacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4 conion, chopped
2 clovegarlic, minced
3 Tbspall purpose flour
1/4 cchicken broth
1-1/2 chalf and half
·salt and pepper to taste
2 sliceamerican cheese
·fresh chopped chives for garnish
How to Make ELLEN'S OUTSTANDING BACON-POTATO SOUP
- Cook diced potatoes in small amount of boiling salted water for 10 minutes until tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels. DO NOT DRAIN GREASE.
- Saute chopped onion in the bacon grease over low heat until translucent; then add the minced garlic, stirring, until you have smelled the garlic for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- In a medium-sized saucepan melt the butter over low-medium heat and stir in the flour until it forms a paste. Slowly add the chicken broth and half and half, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken. If it gets too thick, add a little more broth.
- When mixture reaches desired consistency, add the potatoes, onion-garlic mixture, crumbled bacon (all but two slices), salt and pepper to taste, and the cheese slices. Stir until cheese is melted and fully incorporated into the soup.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls, top with remaining crumbled bacon and chives.