ELLEN'S OUTSTANDING BACON-POTATO SOUP
- 4 small
- yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 6 slice
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 c
- onion, chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1/4 c
- chicken broth
- 1-1/2 c
- half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slice
- american cheese
- fresh chopped chives for garnish
How to Make ELLEN'S OUTSTANDING BACON-POTATO SOUP
- 1Cook diced potatoes in small amount of boiling salted water for 10 minutes until tender; drain and set aside.
- 2In a large skillet cook bacon until crisp; remove to paper towels. DO NOT DRAIN GREASE.
- 3Saute chopped onion in the bacon grease over low heat until translucent; then add the minced garlic, stirring, until you have smelled the garlic for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- 4In a medium-sized saucepan melt the butter over low-medium heat and stir in the flour until it forms a paste. Slowly add the chicken broth and half and half, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken. If it gets too thick, add a little more broth.
- 5When mixture reaches desired consistency, add the potatoes, onion-garlic mixture, crumbled bacon (all but two slices), salt and pepper to taste, and the cheese slices. Stir until cheese is melted and fully incorporated into the soup.
- 6Ladle into individual soup bowls, top with remaining crumbled bacon and chives.