Manila Clam Soup
I haven't made it in a while but I'm gettin' a craving for it. Photo will be coming when I do.
- several manila clams (i usually purchase 20)
- 1 medium
- yellow onion
- 4 clove
- garlic, freshly pressed
- ginger root
- spring onions
- 1 1/2 tsp
- olive oil
How to Make Manila Clam Soup
- 1Be sure to purchase only freshly stocked clams.
Cut onion in half then cut into thin slices. Press your garlic cloves. Peel and slice ginger root into rounds. Wash spring onions then cut both ends off. Then slice into 2-3 inch pieces,
- 2Clean and wash clams thoroughly, scrubbing shells if necessary to remove mud and sand from the shells. Soak them in a deep bowl of water for 20-30 minutes for the clams to vomit up the sea water and sand inside of them. Wash again until the water clears.
- 3On medium heat, saute yellow onions in olive oil in a deep pot until transparent. (you can use a wok and transfer to the pot if you like, but I prefer not to make extra work for myself). Add garlic, ginger root and white part of spring onions.
- 4When garlic turns half brown, add clams in small portions while stirring, cover for 5 minutes, turn clams and add very hot water to cover clams by an inch or two. Bring to boil. Add either shrimp or chicken bouillon and cracked pepper to taste. Bring back to boil until clams open. Add green stalks of spring onions and turn off heat. Enjoy!!