Italian Bread Soup
This is a favorite of friends and family! I've changed things through the years, and I think this version is the "keeper", although some of you may wish to substitute "hot" Italian sausage for the "sweet".
This is great for a make-ahead dish and even tastes better the second day. This used to be one our groups favorite campsite dinners, and all you need to go along is a nice salad, or a fruit and cheese course.
2-14.5 ozcans beef broth, or consome
3-14.5 ozcans stewed tomatoes
12-1" slice1 day old italian or french bread, cubed or torn into pieces
1 lbsweet italian sausage (i prefer publix brand, if that is available to you)
1 largeonion, chopped
1/2 cgrated parmesan cheese (use freshly grated, if at all possible)
2 tspmrs. dash italian seasoning, or italian herb blend
How to Make Italian Bread Soup
- Put broth, water and tomatoes, with their liquid into a 5 qt. pot; Mash tomatoes to make smaller bite size pieces--I use a potato masher for this step.
- Add bread cubes; cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally til thick.
- Meanwhile, remove casing from sausage; brown well; remove from pan and drain on paper towels to reduce extra fat.
- Saute onions until golden in the pan drippings; remove with slotted spoon to avoid adding extra fat to the soup.
- Add mean, onions, seasonings and Parmesan to the simmering broth. Cook about 5 minutes longer, or until it starts to come to a boil.
- Garnish each bowl with additional Parmesan.