SCOTTISH CULLEN SKINK (SMOKED HADDOCK CHOWDER)
Recipe & photo: britishfood.about.com
2 1/2 cmilk
1/2 cflat leaf parsley
1 lbsmoked haddock fillet
1 mediumonion, finely chopped
1 cmashed potatoes, leftover or cooked fresh
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make SCOTTISH CULLEN SKINK (SMOKED HADDOCK CHOWDER)
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan. Remove the leaves from the parsley and add the stalks to the milk. Finely chop the leaves and set aside. Add the bay leaf and the haddock to the milk.
- Bring the milk to a gentle boil and cook for 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and leave for 5 minutes to allow the herbs to infuse their flavor into the milk.
- Remove the haddock from the milk with a slotted spoon and set aside. Strain the liquid through a fine sieve and reserve the herb-infused milk.
- Heat the butter in another saucepan, add the onions and cook gently until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the milk to the onions, then add the mashed potatoes and stir until totally blended into the milk. It should be thick and creamy.
- Flake the smoked haddock into meaty chunks, taking care to remove any bones. Add chunks to the soup.
- Add the chopped parsley leaves to soup and bring to a gentle simmer, cooking for an additional 5 minutes. Do not over-stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- NOTE: Sometimes Cullen Skink is served with a poached egg on top for a more filling soup.