Paleo New England Clam Chowder
4 cpeeled and cubed sweet potatoes
2 cchicken stock, no salt
4 slicenitrite-free un-cured bacon
4 stalk(s)celery, chopped
1 conion, chopped
1 ccarrots, chopped
1/4 cpotato starch
2 lbfrozen wild chopped clams (i got mine at whole foods
3 sprig(s)fresh thyme
1/2 Tbspfresh ground pepper
2 ccoconut milk, unsweetened
·tabasco to taste
How to Make Paleo New England Clam Chowder
- Defrost pints of clams. Drain juice off clams and save each for later.
- In a large soup pot cook bacon pieces until crisp then remove bacon pieces and drain on paper towel for garnish later.
- Toss chopped onion, celery, carrots and sweet potato pieces in bacon grease and sweat the veggies until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle in 1/4 cup of potato starch, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, clam juice, thyme and pepper and cook 5 minutes or until thick.
- Add clams and coconut milk. Simmer until heated through.
- Add tabasco and salt to taste. Simmer (do not boil) until ready to serve.
- Remove thyme sprigs and serve garnished with bacon bits from step 2.