Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- 1 medium
- roaster chicken (about 4 lbs)
- onion, quartered
- carrots, chopped
- 2 stalk(s)
- celery chopped
- 4 sprig(s)
- fresh thyme
- bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 stalk(s)
- celery, diced
- carrots, diced
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- lemons, juiced and zested
- 1/4 c
- dry sherry
- 1/2 lb
- orzo pasta, uncooked
THE NIGHT BEFORE
How to Make Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- 1The night before place the chicken in a large stock pot, add 2 carrots and 2 celery, onion, thyme, tablespoon salt and bay leaf. Cover with water. Cook until chicken legs will easily pull off.
- 2Remove chicken from pot and place in separate bowl to cool. Remove cooked vegetables, bay leaf and thyme.
- 3Cover stock and refrigerate overnight.
- 4Serving Day: Take refrigerated stock and scoop off the fat.
- 5Remove chicken from bone and shred. Save half of shredded chicken for another time.
- 6Sauté minced garlic, diced carrots and celery until tender. Add to stock.
- 7Deglaze pan with sherry until reduced by half. Add to stock.
- 8Add shredded chicken to stock and bring to a boil.
- 9Zest and juice both lemons and add to stock.
- 10Once the soup is at a boil, add 1/2 pound uncooked orzo and cook until done.