Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Roast a chicken as normal, remove all the meat and skin and use or set aside. Take the bones and the skin and put back into the roasting tray with 1 or 2 garlic cloves, a diced onion, a stick of diced celery, a tablespoon of ketchup and 4 pints of water. Bring up to a slow simmer and cook for 2 to 3 hours. Keep and eye on it and top back up with more water as it simmers and evaporates. Strain broth through a sieve and remove and discard the bones, meat and vegetables.
Try and buy good quality egg noodles, wide flat ones are best.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 largeonion, diced
1 largecarrot, diced
1 stickcelery, diced
1/4 tspfresh thyme leaves
2 Tbspmelted chicken fat (see note)
4 ptroasted chicken broth (see note)
4 ozuncooked wide egg noodles (see note)
2cooked boneless chicken breast halves, cubed
1 pinchcayenne pepper
1 pinchsalt to taste
1 pinchground black pepper to taste
How to Make Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Melt the butter in a roasting tin or a large soup pan over a medium heat. Stir in onion, carrot, celery, fresh thyme and salt and stir in chicken fat. Cook and stir until the onions turn soft and translucent, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the roasted chicken broth and bring to the boil.
- Season to taste with salt, if needed and stir in the egg noodles and cook until tender, about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Stir in the cubed chicken breast meat and simmer until the chicken is heated through, about 5 to 10 minutes. add the cayenne pepper, season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Enjoy with hunks of fresh crusty bread!