Navy Bean Soup w Chicken Sausage
- 1 pkg
- 1-pound package small white navy beans, sorted
- 12 oz
- johnsonville chicken and cheese sausage, cut up
- 7-9 c
- chicken or vegetable broth, low salt
- 1/2 medium
- onions, yellow, medium, chopped and diced
- 2-4 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1-2 c
- water, add if beans need more water while simmering
How to Make Navy Bean Soup w Chicken Sausage
- 1Sorting Beans: Pour cold water over the beans to cover.
Soak beans for 8 hours or overnight.
Drain beans, discard soak water and rinse with fresh cold water. **Drain once again and proceed to next step.
For more tips and tricks with beans:
- 2**Cover-Simmer: Place freshly soaked and drained beans in a Dutch oven or similar large pot. Cover beans with large package of chicken or vegetable broth (Low Salt). You should have enough broth to cover the beans plus two - four inches of broth to cover the beans. Add remaining ingredients, (onion, garlic, sausage, broth). Simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Do Not add salt till the beans are tender..
- 3Completing Bean Soup: When beans are soft add a cup or two to the blender with broth to cover the beans. Process enough to achieve a smooth slurry that will thicken the broth. When done puréeing the beans add them back to the soup pot. Stir beans and simmer for 5-10 minutes to finish off cooking the beans. Test beans for tenderness then, Serve Warm in soup bowls. Beans freeze well in small ziplock containers made for the freeze. Make sure beans are cold before freezing them. Freeze up to 3 months for best flavor!