Best Black Bean Soup
2 Tbspolive oil
1 largeonion, chopped
2 Tbsptomato paste
1 Tbspdried celery leaves
1 tspbeef base or bouillon
1 tspground oregano
2 tspdehydrated minced garlic
1/4 tspground chipotle pepper
1 tspjalapeno bacon salt
1 tspsalt, to taste
2 can(s)black beans, seasoned
1 can(s)refried black beans
1 can(s)beef broth
How to Make Best Black Bean Soup
- Saute chopped onion in olive oil and butter, in a 4 qt. dutch oven, on medium-low heat.
- When it has good color (10-15 min.), stir in tomato paste and cook a minute or two, stirring often.
- Add the beef base and spices, and cook another minute or two, stirring often.
- Stir in the broth.
Add the beans and the wine.
- Bring to slow boil, covered, stirring often.
- Blend in the refried beans.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
- NOTES: You may serve with a garnish of sour cream or shredded cheese and chopped green olives, if you want to make it extra special, but it's perfect without the fuss :)
I like full flavor and spice, but not a lot of heat. This recipe is spicy without being hot.
If you want a version with meat, cut up some dried chorizo sausage and add it after the onion is cooked, with the tomato paste.
I use J&D brand bacon salt -- it's amazing! You can get it from your grocery store, from their website, or from Amazon.com.