How to Make Classic Split Pea Soup
- 1Heat olive oil on medium. Saute onions, carrots, and celery for about 5 minutes
- 2Add water, turkey, and bay leaves. Bring to boil and simmer covered for 1.5 hours
- 3Remove bay leaves and turkey. Add split peas and thyme. Return to simmer and simmer for about 1.5 hours until split peas are completely cooked.
- 4When peas are completely cooked, whisk the soup so that the peas disappear. You may still see bits of carrot.
- 5When turkey cools down, take meat off bone, cut into small pieces and return to soup.
- 6Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with biscuits or crusty bread.