Alaskan Fish Stock or Fume
Fish stock should be made from the head and bones of white fish such as halibut, lingcod, or other lean fish. Avoid using salmon or trout as the fat content is too high and it makes a very "fishy tasting" stock.
Stock is easy to prepare and can be stored in the freezer or pressure canned in pint jars for 20 minutes at 11 psi.
Use this yummy light stock in your risotto or in your next batch of clam chowder.
- 1 gal
- 4-5 lb
- fish head and/or bones (halibut, lingcod, rockfish etc)
- 2 large
- carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 large
- yellow onion, peeled and cut into large chunks
- stalks of celery, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 1/4 c
- white wine, dry (use something you would want to drink)
- to make the sachet of herbs (tied in cheesecloth):
- bay leaf
- peppercorns, whole black
- whole cloves or use 2 whole cardamon pods
- 1 Tbsp
- thyme, dried
- parsley stalks, cut into pieces