Quahog Chowder -pronounced "ko-hog"
- 1 qt
- quahogs, freshly opened, reserving the liquor
- 1 slice
- about one inch, fat salt pork, diced
- 2 small
- yellow onions
- 2 large
- potatoes, diced; or more if you like
- 1 c
- water; more if needed to make 1 pint broth.
- 2 c
- hot milk, or
STRAIN THE QUAHOGS OVER A LARGE BOWL,RESERVE LIQUID.
USING A MEAT GRINDER PUT THE QUAHOGS THROUGH AND SET ASIDE.
COOK THE POTATOES WITH THE DRAINED ONIONS IN THE LIQUOR & WATER.
AFTER BOILING THE POTATOES AND ONIONS ABOUT 5-10 MINS. ADD THE GROUND QUAHOGS.
THEN ADD THE HEATED MILK, AND SIMMER GENTLY ABOUT FIVE MINUTES.
How to Make Quahog Chowder -pronounced "ko-hog"
- 2Some people prefer a really thick chowder,IF SO,make a roux of flour,butter and water, and add to the vegetables when they're done; and the more potatoes you add the thicker it becomes. When it is refrigerated and reheated all the flavors are improved. Some say CHOWDAH, I say chowder. Oh add a little fresh ground black pepper too. It's delicious!