Split Pea Soup
1 - 16oz pkgdried green or yellow split peas
4 ozsmoked sausage links, sliced and quartered
1 - 14oz can(s)chicken broth
1 mediumonion, chopped
2 mediumcarrots, chopped
1/2 tspdried basil
1/4 tspdried oregano
1/4 tspblack pepper
How to Make Split Pea Soup
- Rinse peas thoroughly in colander under cold water, discarding any debris or blemished peas.
- Combine peas, sausage, water, broth, onion, carrots, basil, oregano and pepper in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour 15 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir frequently near end of cooking to keep soup from scorching. Cool slightly.
- Transfer sausage to plate. Place 3 cups soup into food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Return pureed soup and sausage to Dutch oven. If soup is to thick add water until desired consistency is reached and heat through.
- TIP: Split peas are very economical and easy to prepare because they do not require soaking. Salt the peas if desired, AFTER they are cooked. Salt in the cooking liquid slows down the cooking and toughens the peas.