Southern Butter Beans, Millie's
I will divide leftovers into freezer bags as sides for other meals. I hate buying canned butter beans and this way you save money and homemade just taste so much better !
We'll have a big pot of them served with a skillet of cornbread and a wedge of onion.
- 1 lb
- dry butter beans (the big white ones)
- 2-3 slice
- smoked bacon
- onion,diced (or 1 small one)
- water, 3 inches above beans
- 1 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
- black pepper
How to Make Southern Butter Beans, Millie's
- 4Dice raw bacon. Fry in large pot til crispy. Remove from pot and set aside. Leave drippings in pot. (You can save bacon bits for a salad or put back in pot after you bring to second boil.)
- 6Add some water to deglaze pot then add beans and cover with water. (about 3-4 inches ABOVE beans.)Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then cover and turn heat OFF for 45 minutes. Return to a boil,(add the fried bacon bits if desired) reduce heat to med. low and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.Keep a check on beans as you may need to add more water.Stir now and then.(taste a bean after 1 hour of cooking. You do not want to over cook). Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.