Quick Pasta e fagioli
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 can(s)
- black beans (made only with water and salt)
- 1 c
- frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, green beans, corn, peas)
- 1 1/2 c
- herdez mild salsa, or 1 15-oz can chopped tomatoes, or plain tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp
- organic simple truth ketchup (no hfcs, no oil)
- 1 1/2 c
- rotini or spiral pasta (any kind)
- 3 or 4 c
- water, cold
- 1 pinch
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 Tbsp
- granulated garlic
- 2 Tbsp
- minced onions
- 1 Tbsp
- italian spices with oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp
- curry powder (tones is best)
- 1 stick
- kombu sea vegetable broken into small bits
How to Make Quick Pasta e fagioli
- 1Place the water, salt, kombu, and spices in a large sauce pot and bring to a boil
- 2Add the pasta, and cook till nearly tender,
- 3then add the salsa, ketchup, canned beans and frozen vegetables to the pot -- no need to pre-thaw -- they will thaw very quickly in the slow boiling water
- 4reduce heat to simmer and finish cooking the pasta till tender. (abt 8 more minutes)
- 5Serve soup immediately.
- 6It will be like "soup" but as it sits the pasta will absorb more of the water and it will become "casserole-like" but is still very tasty. Enjoy!
- 7Note: I use Kroger Simple Truth brand of organic ketchup because it does not contain high fructose corn syrup and there is no oil which makes it OK to use on The McDougall Program (The Starch Solution) that I am following.
- 8TO PREPARE AHEAD OF TIME: Put everything but the pasta in the pot, bring to a boil then simmer. Later when you are ready to serve, cook the pasta in some boiling salted and spiced water, when tender, drain, and add to the pot just before serving. Cooking the pasta in spiced water makes it taste a whole lot better than if cooked in only salted water.
- 9About the KOMBU: I started using this (which I buy online at Swanson Products swansonvitamins.com/eden-foods-kombu...) when trying to reduce the gas from beans. It really adds a mild but excellent flavor to the soup, too. You will have to try it to see for yourself. My friend liked it, and I do too.