Roasted Orange Spiced Chickpeas/Garbanzo
Just think of all the different flavor combinations that are available....The cookbook is 250 ways to make treats..1953-I got the book at the Thrift Store..
- 2 can(s)
- (15.5 oz. each) chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 3 to 4 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1/3 c
- orange marmalade( if your marmalade is thick , heat slightly)
- 1/8 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp
- ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch
- 1 dash(es)
- vanilla extract
How to Make Roasted Orange Spiced Chickpeas/Garbanzo
- 1Drain and rinse garbanzo beans and spread on a kitchen towel to dry. It's best to let them set out to dry overnight. Next day:
Heat oven to 400^. Grease a baking sheet with shortening. Set aside.(I like to cover pans with parchment paper).
- 2In a large bowl add the vegetable oil and the garbanzo beans. Stir to coat evenly. Do not soak the beans too long. Roast beans for 25 minutes. Stir and move them around on the cookie sheets and return to oven for another 15 minutes to bake, or until they begin to brown and look crunchy. Remove from oven.
- 3In a medium bowl, combine the marmalade, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and vanilla. Quickly stir the garbanzo beans into the mixture and gently coat evenly. (You may have to do this in small batches -I usually do a spoonful at a time;so they don't get too wet).When they have all been coated, spread onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Break up any clusters and loosen any garbanzo from the baking sheet with a wooden spoon. Let them cool completely. Store in an airtight container.