How to Make Oven-Roasted Tomatoes
- 1Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
The amount of tomatoes to be roasted depends on recipe requirements. 1 cup of roasted tomato = 2 cups uncooked.
- 2Slice or halve the tomatoes (based on type - large varieties such as Beef-eater = slices, Roma or Cherry = halved). Cherry Tomatoes can also be roasted whole, but cut an "X" in them to help the juice release and evaporate during baking.
- 3Drizzle the olive oil over a cookie sheet, place the tomatoes on the cookie sheet cut side up. Sprinkle the salt, pepper and any other spices you wish to use evenly over the cut surfaces.
- 4Bake until the tomatoes have "wilted" and released most of their moisture. They should have a nice caramelized finish to them when they are ready to take out of the oven (usually 30 - 40 minutes; 40 - 45 for whole Cherry tomatoes).
- 5I like to use mine freshly roasted, but they will keep for a day or two in the 'fridge in an air-tight container.