Next Generation Chex Mix
We love it, so I always make a big batch, and bake it in my huge turkey roaster.
I have to admit I eat it for lunch sometimes, with a glass of ice cold apple cider :)
2 Tbspolive oil
4 tspseasoned salt
5 Tbspworcestershire sauce
8 crice chex cereal
8 ccorn chex cereal
3 cthin pretzel sticks or small twists*
2 csmokehouse flavor almonds
1 cshelled pistachios (optional)**
How to Make Next Generation Chex Mix
- Spray large turkey roaster with food release. Put butter and olive oil in the bottom of the roaster, and put it in the oven while it's preheating to 250*.
- While butter is melting, measure out your cereal, pretzels, and almonds. Set aside.
- When butter is melted add the Worcestershire Sauce and seasoned salt. Stir a bit to combine. All at once add cereal and pretzels. Stir gently and thoroughly, until well-coated. This will take a few minutes, and it's important for best distribution of flavor.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring gently and thoroughly every 15 minutes.
After 45 min, stir in smokehouse almonds. Return roaster to the oven, turn the oven off, and allow the mix to finish, then cool, in the oven.
Add pistachios, if desired and/or other add-ins.
- * I use VitaSpelt Original Pretzels, since we're gluten sensitive.
- **Other optional add-ins include: sesame sticks, Glutino GF Bagel Chips, rice crackers (especially good with tamari almonds), and for those not GF, crunchy Cheetos, cheese nips, or fish crackers.
Besides being tasty and fun, this is a good way to stretch the mix if you need to.
- NOTES: If you prefer, you can use plain whole almonds -- I put them in the oven with the melting butter, to toast them a bit. You could also use tamari almonds instead of the smokehouse flavor, if you like.
If you're not gluten sensitive or allergic to peanuts, this recipe works just as well with the classic ingredients: 6c.rice, 6c. corn, 4c. wheat chex, 2c. peanuts, 3c. pretzels -- it's the ingredient amounts and combinations that make it better (we think!) than the original recipe :)