1 pkgactive dry yeast (or 2 1/2 tsp)
1/4 cwater, warm (2fl oz/105-115*f)
3/4 cbutter milk (organic)
2 Tbspbutter, unsalted (organic irish) room temp
1 Tbspraw sugar (organic)
1 tspkosher salt (organic)
1 largeegg (farm fresh)
4 cflour (king arthur)
COARSE ORGANIC SEA SALT TO SPRINKLE ON TOP (OPT)
How to Make Handmade Crackers
- In large bowl, dissolve in warm water, let stand till foamy, 5 min.
In med saucepan over med heat, heat milk till bubbles appear at edges of pan. Remove from heat stir in butter, sugar and salt.
- Let milk mixture cool till lukewarm. Using a whisk, beat in egg till well blended. Add to yeast mixture. Add 2C of flour and beat with wooden spoon till smooth (3 min). Add 1 1/2C of flour and beat till dough is moderately soft (2-3 min) longer. If the dough is too soft, add more flour a little at a time.
- Turn dough out on to lightly floured board and knead till smooth and elastic, approx (5-6 min). Shape into ball, put into lightly oiled bowl, and coat with spray. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a warm damp kitchen towel, to let dough rise, set in warm place I prefer microwave for it is a controlled inviroment. Till doubled in size, about 1 hour, you will need to check the towel and re dampen with warm water from time to time...
- Punch down dough, recover, let rest (10 min) Meanwhile, preheat oven 450*F. Dust cookie sheet lightly with flour.
- Pich off into olive sized large olive sized balls (roll) on floured board lay waxed paper over top. Using pastry roller rollout each ball paper-thin 2" in diam and place on cookie sheet. OPT sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Then prick each cracker with fork to prevent puffing.
- Put into oven for 5 min. turn over crackers and back for another 5 min till a golden brown. Puncture any bubbles with fork let cool on sheet....