The Priest Fainted
J. White Harris
The Legend goes like this:
A priest received as a dowry, 5 large jars of olive oil when he married a beautiful woman. To his delight she was an excellent cook and she made an eggplant dish which was better than peanut butter & jam sandwiches. He asked for this dish again on their second supper and again on the third supper.
When he asked for the eggplant dish 4 nights in a row his new partner replied that it was not possible to make it again as they ran out of olive oil.
When the Priest heard this he fainted!
- 3 medium
- 4 Tbsp
- + 2 tsp. salt
- 6 medium
- onions, sliced & separated into rings
- 7 large
- cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 5 medium
- ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 8 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 c
- 4 Tbsp
- finely chopped parsley
How to Make The Priest Fainted
- 1Cut off stems, peel, and slice eggplants lengthwise. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp salt and let stand 30 minutes. Repeat with onion rings.
- 2Drain the eggplant and pat dry; pat dry the onion rings.
- 3Combine onion, garlic, and tomatoes in a bowl. Sprinkle with 2 tsp of salt.
- 4Pour 2-tsp olive oil in a wide bottomed skillet with a cover. Layer the eggplant and the tomato mixture in the skillet. Add 6 Tbsp olive oil and the water. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer slowly for 1-1/2 hours. Sprinkle with parsley and serve at room temperature.