Stuffed Zucchini Squash
2 or 3 largezucchini squash
1 cwhite rice
1/2 lbground meat, any kind
3 clovegarlic, smashed and slivered
1/2 cchopped onion
3 Tbspfresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1 tbsp dried)
10 ozcan tomato puree
·salt and pepper
1/3 c(about) grated romano or parmesan cheese
1 1/2 ctomato juice
How to Make Stuffed Zucchini Squash
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Remove all but about 3/4" of pulp, leaving hollow zucchini "boats". Chop any zucchini pulp worth saving very fine. Trim bottom of zucchini so they will sit level in a baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook rice according to package directions, drain, and fluff with fork. Set aside.
- Break ground meat into skillet. Cook with garlic and onion until meat is done and very crumbled. Stir in basil and tomato puree. Stir in enough cooked rice so you have about half meat and half rice. Also stir in any chopped zucchini pulp. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Arrange zucchini in long baking dish. Fill the cavities with the meat and rice mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and top generously with grated Romano cheese. Pour tomato juice into bottom of dish around zucchini. Place any remaining rice around the squash in the tomato juice.
- Bake at 350 degrees until squash is well done and cheese is crusty on top, about 30-40 minutes. Slice squash crosswise to serve.