Sauteed Romaine with Buttered Crumbs
1 largeromaine lettuce heart
2 Tbspseasoned bread crumbs (or 2 tbsp plain bread crumbs tossed with 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning mix)
1 dash(es)salt, to taste
1 dash(es)black pepper, to taste
How to Make Sauteed Romaine with Buttered Crumbs
- Cut the romaine crosswise at 1/4" intervals. Discard the hard base but do include the ribs in the dish. Wash and drain well, leaving some water clinging to the romaine. A salad spinner works well for this.
- Peel the garlic cloves and prepare in accordance with how strong a garlic flavor is desired. For a gentle garlic flavor that allows the flavor of the lettuce to star, cut each clove in half lengthwise. For a stronger garlic flavor, thinly slice, chop or crush the garlic.
- Melt the butter over medium-heat in a large skillet, uncovered. Add the garlic, cut-side down if using halved cloves. Stir to flavor the butter with the garlic. Add the bread crumbs and cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly, to lightly toast.
- Add the romaine, toss to coat with the butter and crumbs. Cover and saute about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent browning.
- Remove garlic if using halved cloves. Serve immediately.