RAINBOW CHARD AU GRATIN
Photo source: abercrombieandfeast.com
- 6 to 8 bunch
- rainbow chard (or swiss chard)
- 1 stick
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 5 c
- whole milk
- freshly ground black pepper
- bulbs roasted garlic, cloves squeezed from skins and pasted
- 4 c
- freshly shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese
How to Make RAINBOW CHARD AU GRATIN
- 1Stem the chard, keeping the leaves whole. Add the chard to a large pot of salted boiling water and let the chard wilt. Boil the chard for 10 minutes; drain in a colander under cool water. Let drain and squeeze excess liquid in a clean towel. Chop.
- 2Melt the butter over medium heat and whisk in the flour. Cook for 1 minute, and then whisk in the milk. Season with salt, pepper, and a dash of freshly grated nutmeg. Stir in the roasted garlic paste. Thicken the sauce to coat the back of a spoon and adjust seasonings to taste.
- 3Layer half the greens in a medium casserole dish. Top with half the sauce and half the cheese. Repeat layers, ending with the cheese. Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven on center rack for 20 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly and browned.
- 4HOW TO MAKE GARLIC PASTE: Remove the skin from garlic bulbs and wash then thoroughly. Put them in a blender with just a little water. Blend on low speed until paste is formed. Remove from blender and use in recipe.