Polish "Stewed" Sauerkraut
Its the only sauerkraut to serve with Kielbasa! Its also great on a buffet with Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, Kielbasa, Ham or as a filling for Pierogi.
3 largebags or cans sauerkraut (i prefer the bags to get away from the cans)
2 largeonions, sliced
1 largepiece of salt pork/fat back with no or very little bacon in it, diced
·salt and pepper to taste
2 1/2 qtwater (if using cans, 3 cans water)
How to Make Polish "Stewed" Sauerkraut
- In a large pot add sauerkraut and water. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 1 hour. Drain in colander.
- while sauerkraut is cooking, dice fat back into small pieces and put into a large skillet. Cook down on medium heat until pieces of fatback turn brown and crispy. Remove pieces with slotted spoon and dispose of, keeping the drippings in the pan. Add onions to drippings in the pan and saute' until tender.
- When sauerkraut is cooked and drained, put back into pot and add onions as well as most of the drippings. Add pinch of salt and pepper. If it seems dry add a little more drippings.
- Let this mixture cook down for at least 1/2 hour, stirring frequently to prevent it from sticking and burning. Taste occasionally to check flavor. Important to learn with ethnic cooking.. become a TASTER! Add more salt and pepper if needed. When onions and sauerkraut are tender and blended remove from heat
- Serve with Kielbasa, smoked ham, hot dogs, sausage - you name it!