Mama Emma's iron skillet cream corn
8 earsfresh sweet corn
3/4 ccream or half and half
1/2 mediumyellow onion
1 tspground pepper
1 pinchkosher salt to taste
2 Tbspunsalted butter
1/8 tsp tspnutmeg
2 tspall purpose flour
How to Make Mama Emma's iron skillet cream corn
- put the bacon in the iron skillet and cook
remove the bacon and set aside but reserve the rendered grease
- finely chop the the onion and cook until translucent , about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat
- Thoroughly shuck and clean the corn.
Using a large bowl stand the ear of corn on it's end and shave the tops from the kernels with a chef's knife.
Using a large spoon firmly scrape the cob clean of corn and corn milk.
- Turn the heat to medium and put the corn in the skillet with the onion.
Add the water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat, add the cream,flour,pepper,salt, and nutneg and stir thoroughly.
- cook the corn uncovered for 25 additional minutes and put the butter in prior to serving.
- chop the cooked bacon and sprinkle on the corn after plating.