Mama Emma's iron skillet cream corn
- 8 ears
- fresh sweet corn
- 6 slice
- 2/3 c
- 3/4 c
- cream or half and half
- 1/2 medium
- yellow onion
- 1/8 tsp
- ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp
- ground pepper
- 1 pinch
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 2 tsp
- all purpose flour
How to Make Mama Emma's iron skillet cream corn
- 1put the bacon in the iron skillet and cook
remove the bacon and set aside but reserve the rendered grease
- 2finely chop the the onion and cook until translucent , about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat
- 3Thoroughly shuck and clean the corn.
Using a large bowl stand the ear of corn on it's end and shave the tops from the kernels with a chef's knife.
Using a large spoon firmly scrape the cob clean of corn and corn milk.
- 4Turn the heat to medium and put the corn in the skillet with the onion.
Add the water and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat, add the cream,flour,pepper,salt, and nutmeg and stir thoroughly.
- 5cook the corn uncovered for 25 additional minutes and put the butter in prior to serving.
- 6chop the cooked bacon and sprinkle on the corn after plating.