HOMINY AU GRATIN
2 can(s)1 lb. 14 oz. each white hominy
4 Tbspall purpose flour
1 1/2 cmilk
1/8 tspwhite pepper
1/2 cswiss or cheddar cheese, grated
1 Tbspadditional butter
1/4 cadditional grated cheese
How to Make HOMINY AU GRATIN
- Drain hominy in a colander; then rinse and drain again. Set aside. Meanwhile, make 2 cups of cheese sauce: melt 3 tbs. butter in a heavy saucepan, blend in 4 tbs. flour and stir over moderate heat until butter and flour foam together for 2 minutes without turning dark. Remove from heat.
- Vigorously stir in the milk, stirring with a wire whisk until sauce comes to a simmer; simmer for 2 minutes, adding salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat; let cool for one or two minutes and then beat in 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Rub 1 tbs. butter in a 2-qt. baking dish (or spray with cooking spray if preferred). Cover bottom of dish with a thin coating of sauce. Pour in hominy and cover with remaining sauce, shaking the dish to allow it to drip down into the kernels. Spread with 1/4 cup additional cheese.
- Bake uncovered in a 425-degree oven for 25 minutes or until bubbling hot and nicely browned.