Ginger Crockpot Cabbage
This recipe can be altered to include a meat stuffing in the whole, can be prepared in the oven in an enclosed dish, used with different flavored oils and spices.
How to Make Ginger Crockpot Cabbage
- Clean the cabbage head by removing the loose leaves and scrubbing the outside.
- Remove the stem and cut a hole into the cabbage at the stem that will hold liquid. Measure your crockpot depth to determine how much cabbage to cut from the bottom of the cabbage so that the cabbage can sit upright with the hole upright. Try to cut parallel to the top so it will sit/display nicely when served.
- Partially prepare the bacon so that it is soft cooked.
- Pour a teaspoon of the olive oil in the crockpot, place the cabbage head, hole up, into the crockpot. Coat the outside of the cabbage with the remaining olive oil.
- Pour the ginger beer into the hole and some around the sides. Keep half of the beer for deglazing the cabbage when done.
- Place lid on the crockpot and cook on low overnight or thru the day until tender.
- Remove the cabbage and serve on a platter. Add a sauce of choice to the hole for spooning on serving. Place a sharp knife to cut the servings.