Fermented Vegetables (KimChi)
Besides,it tastes wonderful!
Very easy to make and the whole family enjoys this recipe.
1small cabbage head shredded or chunked
4large carotts shredded
THE FOLLOWING ARE PUT THROUGH A PROCESSOR TO MAKE A PASTE:
1sweet red bell pepper
6 clovegarlic, chopped
1/4 cchopped onion
1 tspginger powder
How to Make Fermented Vegetables (KimChi)
- Prepare your veges. Shred or cut into chunks the cabbage and carrots. Dont cut your cucumbers yet. You will need 24 hours for the cabbage and carrots to release their juices.
Keep in mind, do not use any metal bowls in this recipe.
- After shredding your cabbage and carrots, place them in a colander and sprinkle with sea salt as you layer in more veges. Taste it after 4 hours and adjust until it is salty enough for your taste.
- Now, let the veges in the colander drain over a large glass bowl. I let mine sit on the counter for 24 hours.
Squeeze and play with it to release more of their juices. (it is fun!)
- The next day,Make the sweet pepper sauce:
Chunk up the pepper and put all the paste ingredients in a food processor or blender. You want it to be a paste,without any chunks remaining. A few small pieces of red pepper are ok, but no chunks.
- Place the draining veges from the colander into the large glass bowl of their own juices and add the sweet pepper paste you made. Cut up your cucumbers and add them now if using.
You can then put this in a crock (if you have one) or a large glass jar. Or even keep them in the large glass bowl.
You will also need something to weigh down the vegetables like a smaller jar inside the bigger jar or a dish. To weigh it down, you can use a rock or a jar filled with water.
The idea here, is the submerge the veges in the liquid.
This will then sit out on the counter for 2-3 days until it bubbles and fizzes.
- In a few days, it will start to bubble and fizz. This is what you want! Go ahead and taste it! :)
I then put the Kimchi on glass jars with rubber stoppers. You can use a jar with a lid too.
This will keep in the fridge for a few months (if it lasts that long) Also, be aware that if you do use the cucumber, they say it doesnt last as long. I dont know because it disappears quickly.
- This recipe can easily be adapted to suit your taste. The amounts of the veges are up to you!
The red pepper paste really makes this recipe stand out from the others!