East Texas Onion Pudding
- 3 Tbsp
- peanut oil
- 2 1/4 lb
- onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 c
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1 c
- whipping cream
- 4 large
- egg yolks
- 2 tsp
- fresh lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp
How to Make East Texas Onion Pudding
- 1Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook until golden brown and lightly caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- 2Stir in bourbon and garlic and cook until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Let stand until cool to touch.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Blend cream, eggs and yolks in a large bowl.
- 4Mix in onions and lemon juice.
- 5Season generously with salt and pepper and lightly with cayenne.
- 6Pour into 6-cup baking dish. Sprinkle with cornmeal. Bake until center of pudding is firm. 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.